Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Repeal Day Celebration: Official First Party of December

I'm attending a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition on Friday and if you want to come, but tickets here. I'd love to see you. And don't forget to bring a toast -- or multiple toasts (Derek, making a toast at right -->).

I'd like to think I had a hand in starting this tradition of celebrating December 5th as a drinking holiday -- the day in 1933 when Congress ditched the ban on alcohol.

Back in 2006, Derek and I started Washington DC's first official Repeal Day celebration at Martin's Tavern in Georgetown -- DC's oldest bar, founded in 1933. Blurry, drunken pictures of that event are here.

And now, Repeal Day is a national celebration, thanks in part to people like Jeffrey Morgenthaler -- the Oregon bartender who is now an online celebrity and ardent supporter of making it a national holiday. He'll be there Friday.

It's no secret that I like to drink, and drinkers need celebrations to keep their hobby moving forward. Plus, there's nothing else to celebrate in December except the birth of Baby Jesus, so let's do it.
Comments:
Got the idea from your blog a few weeks ago. 20 or so friends are coming up to Cleveland to celebrate. Have a great one!
 
I will drink heavaly for you in Vegas to celbrate.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters