Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Saturday, March 07, 2009

You Already Know About Dubai. Unless, That Is, You Live in the Woods.

You already know this: there's a richer-than-fuck Arab kingdom called Dubai that has so much god damn money that they built the only seven-star hotel on earth shaped like a sailboat.

Unless you suck applesauce through a straw or stick your dick into the hole in your rolled-up sleeping bag on a regular basis, you probably don't need to be informed about the series of man-made islands in the shape of a palm tree in Dubai.

Hopefully you're not ignorant of the fact that there's a ski slope built in the desert here, either.

I have never seen so many cranes on top of skyscrapers in my life. I'd say three fourths of the buildings in this town are under serious construction -- looming cranes on each one, all the facades looking skeletal. And this goes for the tallest building the world too.

The weather is so inoffensive -- 75F and winds at 5-10 knots. It's like this perpetually, except in July and August. Perfect rich person weather.

I saw a Ferrari on the street in the brief time we went driving. I'm told this happens all the time.

We drove onto the palm-shaped islands and it made me wonder if I'd be this boring if I got rich. Nothing much more to say: it's a synthetic beach resort where Michael Shumaker owns a house with an underground garage that accommodates 20+ cars.

75% of Dubai's population is foreign. The place doesn't feel like a country. But that's not a complaint about it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters