Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My First Experience at a Black Baptist Church: GOD LOVES AWESOME

I attended a Baptist church service this morning in celebration of my recently deceased neighbor's life. At the end, the preacher gave a rousing sermon that was nearly identical to the first part of James Brown's character in the Blues Brothers, "the Reverend Cleophus James".

Until about minute 1:36 in this video, my experience this morning was the same exact type of preacher enthusiasm, shouting, audience participation, and hand waving. The only difference is the church I attended this morning had fewer people, there wasn't a choir in the back, and not as many people were jumping out of their seats:



For a moment, I really wanted to shout, "YES! YES! Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ, I have seen the light!" All white people should attend at least one all-black Baptist church in their lives. I can't believe it took me 35 years to do it.
Comments:
I found myself shouting "ThankyouJEEESUS!" and then being confused about whether I meant it. For the record, I am not a believer, but I really got caught up in the moment.
-K
 
"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Matt 7:12. NASB

A dear relative that you and I have in common, taught me this verse early as a child. You gave of yourself to this one, who needed a friend. God's blessings will fall down on you and your wife.

Tex
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters