Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

My Life as a Teetotaler is Finally OVER

Here in Buenos Aires, I finally stepped off the wagon at one of the nicest restaurants I've been to. I found it appropriate to quote Jack Nicholson from the Shining upon my first sip of Malbec wine. This (MP3) was my exact toast, just substitute "five months" for "two and a half months". And I was a good boy: I had two glasses of wine and a beer and did NOT get blotto. I promise.

While we're at it, let me tell you about the French restaurant where it occurred. First off, I rarely eat French food when I'm in the USA because of the price. But since we're in Buenos Aires, we decided to find the nicest French restaurant in town and order as much food as we could stuff into our cakeholes. By the looks of the dark wood interior and all the older people dressed up, I'd say it's one of the fanciest places I've ever stepped foot in. And the food was amazing. I found out that the Spanish word, "Mollejas", does not, in fact, mean "mussels", but "sweetbreads" (calf brains); and they turned out to be pretty good. I'll spare all the details, but the best part was that our party of six ordered everything we could: appetizers, two bottles of wine, entrees, desssert, espresso, you name it. And the bill, with tip, came to a total of $33.00 per person.

As Johnny Rotten said, "A cheap holiday in other people's misery."
Comments:
Actually, sweetbreads are the thymus gland of a calf ... don't ask me what a thymus is, though - I honestly have no clue.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters