Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Surprise: Anti-Islamic Movie Blocked at Islamic Airport

After leaving my house 29 hours ago, I'm on a layover at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in the Muslim country of Malaysia.

Killing time, I came across an article about a new "anti-Islam" movie by Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders.

The 15 minute movie, Fitna, is apparently available at LiveLeak.com. I suddenly got a thrill: how bold would it be to play the whole movie out loud at full laptop volume in this busy airport in an Islamic country? Cheap thrills, and probably not too risky considering the low volume --- I know --- but I was prepared to go forward. That is, until I realized that the website has already been blocked! (screen shot above).

I'm sure the world will soon see babyish cries, violence, murder and protest against a short movie critical of Islam --- the religion of perpetual outrage. I wonder how many Muslims who protest this movie will have actually seen it, considering access to it is blocked even in Malaysia --- perhaps the most liberal of all Muslim countries.

Jesus F-ing Christ, let us finally get over this squeamish polite fiction of political correctness. Here are the facts: #1 worst monotheism is Islam; #2, Judaism; # 3, Christianity. Even cold atheists like me can put them on a bad-to-worst scale.
Comments:
They won't see it, they don't need to see it to condemn it. Excuse me if you already knew this: in 1976 a movie about the birth of Islam, called The Message, was protested because it was believed that an actor would actually be portraying Mohammad, as Dutch cartoonists and many of the rest of us know is forbidden in Islam. Some extremists took hostages in DC in '77 and demanded the film be destroyed. By the end of the stand-off two people ended up dead and future Mayor Marion Berry was shot. If they actually saw the movie, they would have seen that great pains were taken to not depict his physical person or voice.
 
Pete,

I have never heard that story. Thanks. God damn.
 
D, reading your blog is giving me heartburn. First, K is being scared by junkies, and then I read that you are getting political in islamic countries.

God damn is right; are you crazy? As you say, Malaysia is liberal (comparatively), but they are not exactly the most American-friendly nation. I know you were in an airport, probably fairly safe, but still. You're not bulletproof! You might have been detained or shot by a crazy. I know that a just cause is worth sacrifice, but is that what you want to do?

Reading your blog has made me a nervous wreck today. Get home safe, protect your sweet lady, and please be sure to wait 30 minutes after eating before swimming or bathing from now on!
 
Faye,

Thanks for your concern! The video was not able to play and plus, the volume on my laptop is so low that it wouldn't have been a big deal.

The muslims over here are generally very nice. We've given speeches to 150 muslim rice farmers in remote parts of Indonesia. They know full well we're Americans and they're always happy to see us and shake our hands.
 
Free movie showbox software from showboxvpn developer brings many new features for everyone. You can immediately try showbox for samsung free here: Showboxvpn.com
 
Watch movies on terrariumtvultimate.com application. You can experience a movie world and install it right away. click here
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters