Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

I spent the weekend in Detroit ... Detroit, Texas that is.

I now own a bleached-white cow skull straight from Detroit, Texas -- the place where my father grew up.

He told me it hasn't changed much since the 1940s and '50s. The population is less now (776) but it's still mainly building-less swaths of green trees, scissor-tailed birds and empty storefronts.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks much about his ancestry, but I'm probably the most "native" person you'll meet.

My great great grandmother's first name was Sophronia and was half American Indian -- born in 1850. I know this because I visited her grave stone this weekend. According to records, my bloodline dates back to before the USA was an actual country. Now you know why I hate immigrants so much. (kidding)

"Texas Pride" is what we've all heard, but down there the reality feels more like a type of "National Pride" -- that Texas is its own country.

And it's not hard to purchase a dirt-encrusted cow skull for $7, which now joins the rest of the dead animal parts decorating my apartment.
Comments:
I am devastated! you were in Texas and you didn't come to visit? of course, I know 300 miles barely qualifies as being in the same state-even for Texas. But still :(
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters